World Rugby is the world governing and law-making body for the sport of Rugby Union headquartered in Dublin. Driven by a strategic mission to grow the global rugby family, World Rugby s both a game regulator and a game inspirer. It is responsible for the regulation and governance of a sport that is experiencing record global participation and fan-base growth.
World Rugby also plays a major role in inspiring new audiences to engage with the sport and owns some of the world’s biggest and best-loved major sports events, including the men’s and women’s Rugby World Cups, Rugby World Cup Sevens, the U20 Championships, and the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.
Based in Dublin and reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer, the General Manager, Broadcast Sales & Delivery will manage a team of two Broadcast Production staff and one Administrator. The role of the General Manager is to oversee all media distribution of World Rugby’s tournaments and host broadcast services working alongside local organising committees, agencies, and key union stakeholders, to ensure consistent high-level production output, as well as having a strong commercial background to drive its international media rights distribution strategy across the business.
World Rugby has recently revised its commercial model bringing many of its media rights inhouse and the successful candidate would be the lead internal contact, who would successfully manage current distribution partners, as well as devise new distribution strategies, to further develop international audiences for the sport, across all platforms.
The right candidate for this job will love sport, have an affinity with rugby, and have a proven track record of working with multiple partners to achieve success. The successful candidate will also have excellent leadership qualities with the ability to lead and work in partnership with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Maximise revenue and the promotion of World Rugby properties, the distribution of world-class content using traditional and new media platforms, including broadcast, digital, OTT and new technologies
- Manage the relationship with World Rugby distribution partners, coordinating sales processes, contracts overview, and communication with rights holding broadcasters
- Manage all the Broadcast Services of World Rugby, coordinating its business plan and tender processes, budgets, guidelines, editorial guidance, host broadcast plans, development of new technologies, relationship management with Unions, agencies, and external stakeholders.
- Work alongside World Rugby’s host broadcast services partner for Rugby World Cup 2019 managing all broadcast operations matters with both IGBS and the host union and organising committee, JR2019, to make sure that all broadcast operational requirements are delivered to schedule and within budget.
- Management of all live satellite/fibre distribution and non-live, digitally delivered programming to international media partners and Unions.
- Create and manage all host broadcast tender processes to successfully implement the host broadcast model for World Rugby tournaments.
- Provide effective leadership and development for a team of two.
Qualifications and Experience
- Business related degree e.g. Marketing, Media, Communications
- 7+ years’ experience in a senior commercial broadcast management role in a global organisation
- Deep understanding of TV and digital platforms and the ever-changing landscape to maximise commercial revenues and audiences
- Solid commercial deal-making and negotiation skills are essential
- Big picture thinker and strategic mindset: make sound business decisions, with effective prioritization
- Intimate knowledge of sports rights contracts as well as global media trends and developments
- Experience across international territories and an excellent network with broadcasters, agencies and right-holders
- Proven track record of managing multiple, high value global clients and stakeholders
- Experience of leading and motivating a team
- Sound knowledge of the international media landscape
- Fluency in more than one European language a distinct advantage
- Strong leadership
- Strong communication
- Influencing and negotiating skills
- Commercial acumen
- Strategic, innovative and creative thinking
- Thoughtful and compelling
Key Skills & Personal Attributes
- Results driven; thrives on a challenge; action-oriented and pragmatic in approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong cultural sensitivity and political sophistication
- Able to work independently under pressure and within a matrixed environment
- Strong team player, maintains energy and momentum
- Strategically sound; sees the big picture, long term thinker
- Attention to detail; impeccable standards
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic
- As all times, act as an ambassador for and promote the best interests of rugby
- The role will be based at World Rugby headquarters in Dublin
- This role requires extensive international travel and the candidate would be required to travel at short notice
For a confidential discussion about the role, candidates should send the following information to:
- Letter of application highlighting relevant achievements and experience
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
David James, Managing Partner – Executive Search
T: +44 (0)20 7092 6960
Hugo Darby, Consultant – Executive Search
T: +44 (0)20 7092 6973