British Dressage – Head of Sports Operations
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Head of Sports Operations is a key member of the senior management team, responsible for managing all aspects of the daily operation and delivery for the sport of dressage. This role is central to driving participation in dressage at all levels, for both able bodied and para riders, regionally, nationally and internationally.
The key areas for this role are as follows:
- Manage the day to day operations of the sport department, to include fixtures, results, grading, governance, rules, anti-doping, Para-Equestrian and international departments, for senior, para and U21 competition.
- Monitor, review and refine the operations of the sport and develop new initiatives, in conjunction with BD’s technical committees and steering groups, reporting to the relevant Directors for their input and with the approval of the Board.
- Work with external partners to strengthen relationships with key stakeholders and ensure that BD is working collaboratively to benefit all parties.
- In conjunction with Directors, technical committees and steering groups, develop the strategy for new sport initiatives, to encourage participation in dressage from grassroots competition through to championship level.
- Undertake line management for the sport operations department, with responsibility for the delivery of agreed objectives and managing the performance of the team.
- Oversee the smooth operation of all functions within sport operations and ensure a quality service for members, in accordance with BD service standards.
- In conjunction with the relevant Directors, and with the approval of the Board, monitor, review and refine operational procedures, policies and practices.
- Manage the process of fixtures allocation, including major dates and championships, ensuring that an open and transparent application process is applied at all times.
- Working with the Regional Manager and Regional Development Officers, ensure a timely, robust and effective system of venue affiliation, assessment and quality assurance.
- Develop strong working relationships with the venues and organisers of affiliated dressage competitions, through regular meetings, communication and consultation.
- Working in conjunction with BD’s IT suppliers, oversee the development and delivery of BD’s IT systems for sport delivery.
- Produce and present reports to the Board, including regular updates on participation levels, rule changes and specific projects as required.
- Undertake effective evaluation, analysis and monitoring of competition at all levels to aid the policy decision process ahead of any rule changes.
- Work closely with the Sport Operations Director to ensure the timely production of the BD Members’ Handbook, ensuring effective consultation for proposed changes.
- Act as the main point of contact for the BEF and FEI on all sport regulation matters.
- Manage all matters in relation to equine and human anti-doping and medication controls, in accordance with national and international regulations.
- Oversee all matters with regard to the formulation and production of dressage tests.
- As the principle budget holder for all areas within the sport operations department, ensure effective monitoring, timely reporting and delivery of all sport related income and expenditure, in accordance with BD’s financial procedures and controls.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, assist in the daily management of the organisation and deputise for the CEO as required.
- Ensure effective communication and liaison between all departments and committees, as well as other internal and external stakeholders.
- Carry out any other tasks or projects as directed by the Chief Executive or Directors of BD..
Qualifications & Skills
Knowledge / Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- A proven track record in a similar sport operations environment, with demonstrable people management and leadership skills
- Experience in managing projects and acting as the delivery lead for sporting events
- Experience working with and supporting venues, event organisers and officials
- Experience in sports administration and budget management
- Good understanding of the principles of sports governance
- Knowledge of equestrian sport and dressage would be advantageous
- Computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office suite
- Full UK driving licence and own car
Personal Skills / Characteristics
- Innovative, dynamic, determined and focused individual
- Enthusiastic, positive, proactive and motivated self-starter
- Highly organised, with a structured approach to work and strong attention to detail
- Able to contribute effectively to strategy formulation and objective setting
- Sets high standards for themselves and others to follow; leads by example
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise, working to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to remain calm, diplomatic and maintain professionalism at all times
- Ability to manage challenging situations in an appropriate manner
- Equally adept at working independently or as part of a team
- Inclusive and consultative, involving all key stakeholders
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Personable approach, with ability to build strong professional relationships
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.