Chief Operating Officer – British Dressage
British Dressage (BD) is the national governing body for the Olympic and Paralympic sport of dressage. With over 17,000 members, BD aims to be the most respected and successful organisation for people passionate about dressage.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will be responsible for the overall day to day management of the organisation. Working closely with the Chief Executive, the post holder will ensure that there are robust policies and procedures in place for the operational delivery of the sport, supported by excellent levels of service for members and the continued development of dressage at all levels.
The COO will also be responsible for managing the eight regions, providing a link between head office, the Regional Development Officers and the technical and regional committees.
- In collaboration with the CEO, assist with the development of BD’s strategic plan, and work with all relevant parties to ensure its effective delivery.
- Provide effective leadership to the BD team to ensure that all daily operations are managed in an efficient and effective way and aligned with the overall strategy.
- Manage the eight regions, overseeing the delivery of all regional activity through the Regional Development Officers, regional committees and representatives.
- Work closely with Directors to ensure that technical committees’ function effectively and deliver policy recommendations in accordance with governance structure.
- In conjunction with the CEO and SMT, develop an annual operational business plan to define and prioritise the short, medium- and long-term objectives for the organisation.
- Develop and implement robust operational and HR policies / procedures, in line with the principles of good governance and in accordance with legal obligations.
- Manage all internal operational processes, with an ongoing review, evaluation and continuous improvement that will deliver the optimal outcomes for the organisation.
- Lead the development of in-house information technology, systems and management processes to meet the needs of the membership and sport.
- Ensure sound financial planning and management, working with finance team and managers to formulate budgets, produce accurate forecasts and monthly reports.
- Oversee the internal performance management framework, ensuring that all Directors, Managers and RDOs meet agreed KPI targets and operational goals.
- Maximise potential income streams through effective integration of membership, commercial and marketing initiatives, including sponsorships and partnerships.
- Champion effective communication and liaison between all departments and committees, including internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead on specific projects as required, taking responsibility for all aspects of project development, from conception through to implementation, delivering on time and on budget.
- Manage all contractual arrangements entered into on behalf of BD, ensuring that all such agreements are in accordance with financial and legal requirements.
- Work with other Olympic Disciplines, BEF, UK Sport, Sport England, SRA, other NGBs and charitable organisations to benchmark, share and implement best practice.
- Deputise for the Chief Executive as required and undertake any other tasks as directed by the Chair or BD Board of Directors.
Qualifications & Skills
Knowledge / Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Equally adept at both strategic and operational level
- Demonstrable leadership and people management skills
- Excellent track record in a similar operational environment
- Strong project management skills, with proven success as the delivery lead
- Ability to operate effectively in a complex multi-stakeholder environment
- Strong financial management expertise and commercial acumen
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Good understanding and awareness of the principles of sports governance
- Knowledge of equestrian sport and dressage would be advantageous and desirable
Skills / Characteristics
- Innovative, dynamic, determined and focused individual
- High degree of personal and professional integrity
- Enthusiastic, positive, proactive and highly motivated self-starter
- Inspirational leader and team player, with the ability to motivate others
- Leads by example; sets high standards for themselves and others to follow
- Extremely well organised, with a structured approach and attention to detail
- Contributes effectively to strategy formulation and objective setting
- Able to multi-task, prioritise, working to tight deadlines and under pressure
- Remains calm and professional at all times, with sensitivity, tact and diplomacy
- Equally adept at working independently or as part of a team
- Inclusive, collaborative and consultative approach, involving all key stakeholders
- Highly personable, with an ability to build strong professional relationships.
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.