Commercial Controller Regional Accounts – Pentland Group
Pentland is the name behind some of the world’s best sports, outdoor and fashion brands.
We own Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Speedo, Boxfresh, Ellesse, KangaROOS, Mitre, Prostar and Red or Dead. We are also the global licensee for Lacoste Chaussures and Ted Baker footwear, the UK licensee for Kickers, and are shareholders in other companies such as Hunter, Butterfly Twists, Heidi Klein and Tracksmith.
We’re a third-generation, family-owned business – and we retain strong family values. We care about people, and that’s what drives our day-to-day work. This year the Great Place to Work® Institute recognised Pentland Brands the 11th Best Workplace in the UK and the 16th Best Workplace in Europe. Our global headquarters is in the UK and we employ 2,000 people across 20 countries around the world.
We believe that doing business the right way, with respect for people and the environment, is essential for ensuring our long-term sustainability – generation after generation. The Pentland values are at the heart of what we do and how we interact with the world around us.
This commercial management role within the UK Footwear Commercial Team will support Pentland’s strategy in delivering breakthrough results & performance within our UK Regional accounts. This role will ensure the customer plan is delivered working closely with the key functions of S&P, Marketing, Customer Finance and Product Management, both internally and externally. Working across assigned Pentland footwear brands this role is responsible for leading a team of RAMs to deliver sales, profit, efficiency targets, execution of initiatives and brand presence to agreed KPI’s of our annual business plan for the UK Footwear Business.
The role will allow us to build a long term, sustainable, harmonious and profitable business within this key channel across our portfolio of footwear brands and effectively design and deliver joint business plans to grow customers faster as they integrate in to the One Pentland approach.
A key function of this role will be to lead, recruit, manage, develop, coach, empower and retain talent that contributes to the success of the channel and company goals, embedding the commercial framework across the organisation
- Accountability for the sales, profit, brand presence and KPI’s of Pentland brands footwear business within the UK Market Place for the assigned Regional Account customers – monitor, challenge and lead course-correction recommendations as required across this channel.
- Lead the creation and implementation of ambitious long-term growth strategies for the footwear brands in the UK market place and in line with Pentland and where applicable mother brand customer vision to maximise revenue opportunities, manage the cost base of the business to achieve sustainable profits and provide a stable platform for the expansion of the business long term.
- For identified key customers; Design, deliver and execute joint business plans (1-3 years) including conditional commercial agreements aligned to our ambitious growth plans, and leveraging value from these plans and agreements to deploy our brand propositions and drive consumer experience.
- Work closely with both local UK marketing and Pentland Consumer Function to win with the shopper at point of purchase by executing tailored annual customer marketing plans designed to own space and grow market share, thus increasing both Mental and Physical availability of our brands and products, creating desire and sell through.
- Utilise data and insight to scope, recommend and execute plans/opportunities/mitigate risk and drive efficiency opportunities within this customer channel across the Pentland footwear brands business for all areas of the business from shopper marketing to operations.
- Build trust across the key retailers to create joint value, influence strategic decisions and lead the delivery of objectives through an accelerated joint business plan.
- Lead and manage the sell-in process of footwear brands ensuring delivery of key propositions through the persuasive selling framework and an emphasis on thorough preparation, an excellent understanding of customer needs and a focus of achieving clear goals.
- Responsibility for internal influence & engagement across the customer function and footwear division to align and deliver plans & to bring in a deep understanding of customer & shopper needs into Pentland.
- To be an active senior member of the Pentland UK Commercial Footwear team by working within a matrix global team facilitating, sharing & reapplying learnings that allows us to better work in a One Pentland way.
- To take overall responsibility for footwear brands procurement and analysis of sell-in, sell out, stock turn and order book management including overdue order book, customer marketing plan and all assigned KPI’s partnering with Sales & Planning function.
- Work with Lacoste & Ted Baker mother brands to ensure ‘one voice’ approach (particularly with new JV structure).
- Lead, recruit, manage, develop, coach, empower and retain talent that contributes to the success of the channel and company goals, embedding the commercial framework across the organisation.
Qualifications & Skills
- Proven track record of managing and delivering results through others as a Sales Manager.
- Ability to build a persuasive selling story
- Experience of negotiation
- Strong Influencing skills – ability to influence internally and externally
- Commercial acumen – Understanding of broader business financial principles and how to manage profitability to achieve financial gains
- Shopper/category management understanding/experience
- Ability to utilise market / industry / competitor insight to challenge and influence our category / channel / regional strategies and execute consumer focused propositions with customers
- Ability to analyse, spot trends and build a compelling commercial argument
- Experience of working in a multi-functional team & working in a matrix environment to deliver results
- Experience of delivering robust brand activation plans within a customer
- Strong communication skills both internally & externally to manage multiple stakeholders
- Strong planning and organisational skills with ability to manage and deliver multiple projects
- Knowledge and understanding of competition law
- Prepared to travel UK (primarily) & Europe as required by the role
- Previous line management experience.
- Self-motivated, self-starting individual who drives action.
- Inspirational leader and coach.
- An ambassador for Pentland Brands across the footwear divisions, role modelling the organisational values and One Pentland approach
- Demonstrates a passion for bringing the voice of the customer in to the business
- Confident, professional and articulate
- Challenge and recommend new ideas and be willing to take risks to drive strategies and efficiencies
- Highly numerate, analytical and comfortable using data and insight to inform thinking and build compelling relevant commercial arguments
- High tenacity & passion to achieve via influence
- Pro-active, exceptionally well organised and able to prioritise behind areas adding greatest Pentland value
- Able to work both independently as well as being a great team player
- Seeks collaboration across cultures, brands and functions to deliver results
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Able to liaise and influence with people at all levels
- Ability to build and lead a team
- Ability to build partnership and trust with a customer/mother brand partner
- Solution mind-set
- Flexible in approach and ‘can do’ attitude
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.