Commercial Director – Marlyebone Cricket Club
Reporting to: Chief Executive & Secretary
Department: Commercial Department
09:00hrs to 18:00hrs, Monday to Friday (inclusive), including one hour unpaid lunch on each day worked; making a total of 40 working hours per week.
Weekend working and extended hours as required. Representative of the Tri-borough Council, local Community and Charity Groups.
Key Purpose of Role
- To lead the commercial operations of the Club.
- To develop and implement innovative commercial strategies to generate strong commercial revenues.
- To lead the commercial teams functional departments achieving operational excellence across all areas.
- To develop and sustain strong commercial relationships with MCC’s core partners.
- To play a full and influential part in the Club’s overarching strategy and annual objectives.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities
- Develop and implement commercial strategies according to MCC goals and objectives aiming to accelerate growth.
- Work with the Head of Business Development (to be appointed) and the Head of Catering to review existing commercial revenue streams and develop, propose and convert new opportunities.
- To conduct market research and analysis to create detailed business plans on commercial opportunities (expansion, business development etc.)
- Understand the requirements of existing customers to ensure their needs are being met.
- Act to acquire new customers and manage client relationships (new and existing).
- Build and maintain profitable partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Monitor performance of commercial activities using key metrics and prepare reports for senior management.
- Prepare annual budgets for all relevant commercial areas. Lead in setting financial targets and budget development and monitoring.
- Responsibility for the management, strategic direction and leadership of a number of Departments, including: Catering, Hospitality, Meeting & Events, Commercial Partnerships, Marketing, Brand, Digital and Retail.
- Work closely with the Marketing, Brand & Digital team on strategic campaigns to deliver return of investment via the Club’s Digital channels.
- Attend Executive Management Board and MCC Committee meetings when required.
This job profile is not an exhaustive or definitive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job profile and duties might be amended as the job evolves in light of the needs of the business and/or at the discretion of management.
Variations of job relating to Major Matches
- Attend at all Major Matches with extended hours as appropriate, including weekends.
- Any other duties as required whether in the Department or elsewhere around the Ground.
Values and Behaviours
- Have a positive and proactive approach to all elements of the role.
- Take responsibility for own actions and outputs.
- Be respectful to all MCC employees, casual workers, Members and visitors.
- Actively promote team work by supporting others and sharing knowledge.
- Deliver high quality work/service in a timely way.
- Actively work to help improve standards across the Department.
Health and Safety
- At all times be responsible for the safety of yourself and others through adherence to MCC (and legal) safety rules and procedures.
- To report any unsafe practices, equipment or circumstances as appropriate.
- Wearing of any required protective clothing and equipment.
- Comply fully with relevant security policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with fire procedures and evacuation procedures and be prepared to operate when/if trained as Fire Warden.
Person Specification, Skills & Qualifications
- Proven experience as a Commercial Director in a similar business environment.
- Experience of running significant / similar sized business operation.
- Proven experience in sales and/or marketing and managing relationships with key clients.
- Ability to lead and communicate to a high level with an inclusive/collaborative management style.
- Leader and motivator, with energy and enthusiasm who is adept at getting the best out of people
- Performance management expertise.
- In-depth understanding of market research methods and analysis.
- Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes.
- Commercial awareness partnered with a strategic mindset.
- Outstanding organisational, communication and interpersonal abilities
- Excellent relationship building /development skills and ability to act as Ambassador for MCC at national and international events and occasions.
- High level of integrity, calmness under pressure, rapid assimilation of issues and decision making.
- Gravitas to be credible at all levels and robust enough to deal with conflict at the most senior levels
- High degree of emotional intelligence.
- Excellent written skills essential.
- Maintain confidentiality and demonstrate tact.
- Knowledge of cricket and its governing bodies.
- BSc/BA in business administration, finance or relevant field; MSc/MA.
SRi is a boutique global executive search and consulting firm focused on media, content, technology and sport.
We work as one partner-led team with staff based in key global markets across eleven offices on four continents. We offer dedicated and specific sector, function and region expertise. Our services include executive search, board assessment, succession planning, salary benchmarking, advising clients on their internal and external hiring strategy, new market entry and multi-vacancy projects.
SRi is a boutique global executive search and consulting firm, servicing the rapidly converging industries of media, content, technology and sport.
We work as one partner-led team with 65 staff based in key global markets across eleven offices on four continents.
We offer dedicated and specific sector, function and region expertise. Our activities extend beyond traditional executive search and include board assessment, succession planning, salary benchmarking, advising clients on their internal and external hiring strategy, new market entry and multivacancy projects.
We are proud to be the exclusive partner in this search with Marylebone Cricket Club.
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.