Rugby World Cup is one of the world’s biggest and best-loved major sports events, inspiring a new generation of rugby fans and providing the financial engine for World Rugby to drive the development of rugby worldwide.
Following a record-breaking 2015 event in England, Rugby World Cup 2019 will be hosted in Asia for the first time as Japan welcomes the world’s top players and fans from around the globe for a very special celebration of sport and friendship. It is a unique opportunity to inspire a new generation of players and fans in the world’s most populous region.
The role of the Rugby World Cup 2019 Digital Content Executive (Japanese) is to implement World Rugby’s Japanese content strategy to grow and engage its fan base to maximise the tournament’s marketing, commercial and legacy objectives.
The successful candidate will have an excellent understanding of the Japanese social and digital media landscape, including audience trends, platforms and CMS. They will also have a good eye for creating compelling, engaging content. Excellent Japanese and English oral and written communication skills are a must.
The role dual reports to the Content and Programming Manager in Dublin and to the Marketing and Communications Manager, Tokyo within a dynamic multi-lingual team. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating and implementing the Japanese language content strategy across Rugby World Cup 2019 and World Rugby social platforms.
The role also integrates with the Japan 2019 Organising Committee’s digital marketing team to deliver a combined creative approach. This will include maximising ticket marketing, fan engagement, tournament information and commercial partner activation throughout the project life cycle; from requirements gathering and stakeholder management; to finalisation of content, project; event implementation and post-event analysis.
The position is Tokyo-based and has a fixed term from the appointment date to the end of 2019.
- Content strategy coordination and management
Responsible for the implementation of the integrated Japanese language Rugby World Cup 2019 content strategy across World Rugby’s suite of platforms, including the website
- Content creation and editing
Responsible for the accurate creation and editing of Japanese content for World Rugby’s suite of platforms in line with key objectives.
- Stakeholder coordination
Responsible for managing the requirements of the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee’s marketing strategy and commercial partner activations within the Japanese language strategy.
- Analytics coordination
Responsible for social media metric analytics on native platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube and to provide key insights and both editorial and creative recommendations.
- Editorial translation
Responsible for the delivery of Japanese editorial translations for fan-engagement platforms as required within the central content strategy.
RWC 2019 Projects
- Joint Marketing and Communications meetings
Act as the central point of contact for World Rugby and the Japan 2019 Organising Committee in coordinating the Japanese language content strategy, calendar and ensuring timelines are met
- Ticketing promotions
Integrate with the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee to deliver public-facing social media ticketing promotions and ensure integration with RWC partners as required
- International and Domestic Trophy Tour
Support the international and domestic trophy tours taking place in 2017 and 2018, ensuring coordination between Japan Rugby 2019 and World Rugby stakeholder content as published in Japanese
- Major activation actions, including milestones
Ensure that all Japanese language platforms harness key tournament milestones to build the engaged audience and/or drive new audience acquisition
- RWC 2019 qualifier activation and promotion
Coordinate the activation and promotion of all remaining RWC 2019 qualifier matches on Japanese language platforms
- Media engagement
Provide issues management support to RWC and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee as requested
- Must have a solid understanding of the Japanese media landscape including social and digital media (including Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Line)
- Must have an excellent understanding of the Japanese social media and digital audience and a proven track record in reaching and engaging them with content
- Must have first-hand experience of the content production process with ability to deliver first hand
- Sports industry knowledge and experience preferred
- First class IT skills including Adobe Photoshop and the ability to make simple video edits such as replacing end-boards and subtitle insertion
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders in a collaborative way
- Must be fluent in English and Japanese and be able to write and translate in both languages
- Able to provide timely translations for content such as social posts, releases, promos, videos, photos, etc.
- Good attention to detail with ability to plan for long and short-term content
- Ability to be both proactive and reactive to events
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.