We are SO excited to reveal our new Suncorp #NetSetGO commercial! 😍Find your nearest centre: http://netsetgo.asn.au/Posted by Netball Australia on Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Executive General Manager – Sport
Position Profile and Primary Objectives
The Executive General Manager Sport is responsible for driving strategic agenda to increase participation in netball and ensure sustained international success.
With a strong focus on stakeholder management across the sport, the EGM Sport will contribute to ensuring the organisation achieves its business objectives faster, with less risk and at a lower cost or greater revenue by improving how the business systems operate and information is recognised, shared and acted upon.
The position incumbent will possess a high level of:
- People management and development, and effective relationship building.
- Motivation to inspire, empower and enable others.
- Working as a team to achieve the organisation’s objectives.
- Interpersonal, engagement and communication capabilities.
- Flexibility, adaptability and resilience.
- Political acumen, initiative and pro-active problem solving.
The position will be based at Netball Australia, 191 Johnston Street, Fitzroy or as mutually agreed.
Salary / Tenure / Hours
Executive remuneration – Full Time as per Contract of Employment – 38 hours per week with the requirement to work additional hours as required to meet organisational and operational requirements.
Strategic Focus, Thought Leadership and Executive Management
- Strategic Focus – Participation growth, workforce capability improvement and high performance excellence.
- Lead the development and implementation of Netball Australia’s Elite, Pathway and Participation strategy.
- Provide a strategic focus to the management of Netball’s participation and high performance areas with the aim of growing the game and achieving international success, ensuring that resources are deployed in accordance with agreed plans to deliver outcomes within agreed timeframes.
- Lead the development of new programs and the modification or discontinuance of current programs, as appropriate.
- Lead and manage identified major strategic Sport projects as required.
- Be responsible for staff members adhering to policy and managing programs effectively.
- Provide sound recommendations to the CEO regarding performance support and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Represent Netball Australia in a range of external forums including with government, corporate partners, and in community initiatives.
High Performance Leadership and Culture
- Contribute to building and managing a ‘stakeholder focused’ high performing culture across the Organisation.
- Provide operational leadership across the business, fostering team cohesion, providing support, advice and assistance to NA staff.
Communication & Stakeholder Engagement
- Oversee senior stakeholder relationships with Member Organisations at CEO/GM Level, to ensure alignment of objectives and strategic direction and to ensure the successful outcomes for Netball in Australia consistent with the stated short, medium and long-term objectives.
- Develop and manage positive and productive partnerships with businesses, the government and other organisations that contribute to Netball Australia’s resources.
- Foster collaborative partnerships between Netball Australia, Member Organisations, AIS, SIS/SAS, ACGA, and other system stakeholders to benefit the national high performance program.
Grow the Netball Economy
- Work with the CCO to drive the investment in Netball participation and performance products. Oversee the creation and development of opportunities for attracting investment and funding from external stakeholders.
- Manage relationship with key NA Partners within Sport.
- Identify and implement strategic partnerships that reinforce Netball as the leading female sport.
Finance and Risk Management
- Develop and manage annual NA Sport budgets.
- Review financial performance of Sport participation and performance programs and recommend appropriate funding arrangements related to strategic objectives.
- Commit to ensuring that all risks associated with our business are routinely and systematically addressed to reduce potential losses and maximise potential opportunities.
All employees will:
- Identify and report any hazards, damage, loss or exposures observed during the course of their work.
- Mitigate and manage identified risks.
- Minimize damage or loss of property within the incumbents control.
- Ensure the organisation complies with relevant legislation, regulatory and statutory obligations and responsibilities related to Netball group functions.
- Work with the CEO and Deputy CEO to develop appropriate policies to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of programs.
Occupational Health & Safety
- Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations and perform all duties in a manner that ensures the health and safety of self and others in the workplace.
- Comply with Netball Australia policies, procedures and ensure safe working practices.
- Consult with employees on OH&S matters, monitor OH&S performance and investigate incidents within area of responsibility.
Judgement & Decision Making
- This position has a high level of autonomy in decision making and a high level of judgment is required.
- Ability to make complex decisions within legislation, regulations, organisational strategies and corporate policies and procedures.
- This position is responsible for making key strategic recommendations to the Board, Chief Executive Officer and Executive Management Team.
- Ability to make complex decisions related to High Performance and participation.
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Australian sport sector from the grassroots to the high performance level.
- Sound knowledge and understanding in strategic planning and achieving agreed strategic ouctomes.
- Sound knowledge and understanding in financial management and budgeting.
- Project management skills with an understanding of the project management cycle.
- An understanding of the goals of Netball Australia and the ability to achieve results that assist the organisation meet its corporate objectives.
- Committed approach to continuous improvement and the ability to review the effectiveness of processes within area of responsibility.
- Strong understanding of human resource management, OH&S, Equal Opportunity and other legislation relating to the position.
- Proficient computer skills with sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and information systems.
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage and negotiate with clients, government departments, agencies, and staff.
- Ability to lead and work effectively with and influence teams, and resolve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to prepare external correspondence and reports, and to positively engage with key stakeholders, members of the public and other employees.
- Ability to uphold and demonstrate Netball Australia’s Values of Respect, Teamwork, Agility and Excellence.
- Proven ability to motivate, develop and manage professional staff.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and prioritise work objectives to achieve corporate goals within available resources and competing timeframes.
- Capability to develop strategies, policies and high level reports with clear recommendations.
- Ability to prepare budgets and monitor financial performance.
Knowledge / experience
- Minimum fifteen (15) years’ experience in a related field of employment.
- Demonstrated experience in high performance program management.
- Experience in budget interpretation and understanding, program/project/line and contract management, working with Government agencies/authorities, policies and funding programs.
- Relevant tertiary qualification.
- Professional membership of a relevant body would be an advantage.
- Current Australian driver’s licence.
- Current Working With Children Check.
Key Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated alignment with NA Values.
- A tertiary qualification in sport management or related discipline and/or broad experiences in the development of high performance sport and sport participation
- Strong strategic capabilities and the ability to set the strategic direction with the Board while achieving the identified outcomes.
- Excellent leadership qualities including the ability to set clear direction; motivate others and solve conflicts.
- An ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with a diverse and complex range of stakeholders.
- Solid financial acumen, including the capacity to interpret and report on financial accounts.
- A professional and personable approach in all dealings.
- Ability to work with the Board and Executive team to provide leadership, direction, experience, tools and techniques to lead successfully during time of complex change.
- Strong brand and positioning skills, with the capacity to identify commercial opportunities and deliver stable and diverse revenue streams.
- Inclusive and supportive leadership style to build connectedness and collaboration amongst the team.
- Innovative and confident approach to meeting changing business challenges.
- A passion for sport development at both community and elite levels.
- Masters qualification.
- Significant Director or Executive Management experience in a medium-sized organisation.
- Policy and strategy develop experience at national level.
- Professional membership of a relevant body would be an advantage.
- Experience in Board meeting procedures.
Netball Australia Policies
Netball Australia employees must comply with the Netball Australia Employee Manual, Polices and Procedures, Collective Agreement (2016) and agree to work according to Netball Australia’s values and behaviours.
All staff are bound by Netball Australia’s Member Protection Policy, Integrity in Netball Framework and associated rules. No staff member can bet on netball.
Netball Australia is committed to the safety and well-being of children, has a zero tolerance towards violence within the workplace and recognises the rights of all staff to be free from violence and gender-related discrimination. We are proudly working with White Ribbon to create a safer workplace.
Our Values & Behaviours:
Respect – We are honest, care for, acknowledge and are empathetic with each other.
Excellence – We set clear benchmarks, enabling us to be outcome focused through an innovative, people centered approach to our work.
Agility – We work in an adaptive environment, and encourage each other to continuously learn, make brave decisions while remaining risk aware.
Team – We work collaboratively, support one another, ensuring we have aligned and clear goals we achieve together.
Our Values are supported by:
- Clear and Open Communication
- Empowerment of NA Staff
- Productive Partnerships
- Clear and Consistent Operating Systems
- A Clarity of Purpose and Integrated Planning
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact:
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.