Finance Director – Gloucester RFC
Gloucester Rugby are an English professional rugby union club based in the West Country city of Gloucester. They play in the Premiership Rugby League, England’s top division of rugby.
The Finance Director will be required to lead on all aspects of the Club’s financial strategy and have management responsibility over the key finance and accounting functions within the business. The role is required to ensure the sound financial management and control of the Club and provide it with first class guidance and judgment on all financial matters.
The Finance Director is a senior position which sits on the Club’s Management Board. It reports to Gloucester’s Chief Executive Officer and will be expected to work closely with the Chief Commercial Officer and Director of Rugby. The relationship and management of cost with the Director of rugby is particularly important.
- Providing decisive leadership of the Club’s finance and accounting functions and having primary responsibility for achieving the Club’s financial strategy;
- Managing the Club’s annual budget cycle and capital expenditure process, ensuring that effective controls are maintained over the financial performance of key business departments;
- Managing the preparation of monthly management accounts and ensuring that they are collated and presented in an accurate, appropriate and timely manner;
- Ensuring the highest standards of financial reporting and internal controls to ensure that financial management information effectively serves the needs of the business;
- Effectively managing the Club’s annual accounting process in line with all applicable laws, regulations and best practice standards;
- Providing high quality advice to the Chief Executive Officer on major financial transactions affecting the business, including in relation to player sales and acquisitions, sponsorship agreements and match day sales;
- Managing the Club’s approach to, and compliance with, the regulatory requirements of the Salary Cap regulations, including responsibility for reporting, and regulatory compliance via the Salary Cap audit process.
- Evaluating the financial performance of the Club on an ongoing basis, in order to identify risks and propose opportunities for growth and improvement;
- Ensuring the effective management of the key finance functions and teams within the Club, including management accounting, financial control, sales and cash accounting, financial planning, procurement and payroll;
- Applying business analytics to ensure that there is effective quantitative decision making in key commercial and operational areas across the Club;
- Effectively managing the Club’s external advisers, including tax advisers, auditors and payroll software providers;
- Working collaboratively with key stakeholders within the business (including the Club’s Chief Commercial Officer and Director of Rugby) to ensure that the club’s insurance portfolio is appropriately managed;
- Ensuring the appropriate management of people within finance roles, in line with the Club’s values, and procedures. The Club strives to provide staff with an environment in which they can learn, grow and remain engaged.
This role will require match day, evening and/or weekend work, as required from time-to-time.
Qualifications & Skills
- Excellent experience of working in finance, both in private practice and for a leading business;
- Significant experience in managing key finance functions within and delivering first class results;
- A strong track record of providing strong financial leadership in a senior financial role;
- Demonstrable experience in delivering a challenging financial strategy and making essential contributions to the leadership and management of the business;
- Significant experience in managing people and teams in a variety of finance and/or other roles;
- Strong track record of being part of and/or reporting to the board.
Skills, Knowledge & Qualifications:
- Strong academic background, with appropriate accounting qualifications;
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to deliver information vertically and laterally;
- High quality people management skills, including the ability to manage teams at different levels; and
- Good internal and external client skills, including the ability to build lasting relationships.
- Self-motivated, energetic and people-centric leader;
- Organised, sensible and with excellent attention to detail;
- Flexible, resilient and positive, even when under pressure;
- Driven by service excellence; and
- The ability to isolate problems and find effective business solutions.
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.