Head of Operations – Guinness Pro14
To oversee, develop and deliver all operational aspects of the Guinness PRO14 Rugby Tournament under the stewardship of the Tournament Director. The Head of Operations will ensure the smooth running of all PRO14 matches, including the Final and all season events, ensuring standards are world class, reflect best practice and are done in a way that represents the ethos and vision of the Guinness PRO14.
Key Rugby Deliverables:
- Participation Agreement – Tournament Rules – Oversee Compliance Managers
- World Rugby Laws, Trials and Committees
- Medical and HIA in conjunction with Medical Working Group
- Disciplinary (Citing Commissioners, Disciplinary panel)
- Anti Doping
- Competition Improvements (High Performance) in conjunction with new Professional Game Review Group
- Travel and Logistics (including South African travel)
- Match Officials (with Elite Referee Manager and Tournament Director)
- Fixtures and Scheduling (with Tournament Director and Head of Media)
- European Champions & Challenge Cup fixture liaison (with Tournament Director)
Key Commercial Deliverables:
- Full Event delivery (Season Launch, Awards and Guinness PRO14 partners)
- Final Series event delivery (full responsibility for Final and events associated with Final)
- Venue Facilities/Experience improvements at Clubs
- Event Experience Improvements – regular season matches
- TV Media Operational Delivery (onsite delivery against contracts) especially linking the OB function in conjunction with Head of Media to Hawkeye, Team Analysts, TMO and Disciplinary functions
- Sponsors Operational Delivery (onsite delivery against contracts) in conjunction with Commercial Director
- Participation Agreement – Media, Commercial Rules, Tournament Rules – Oversee Compliance Managers
- Crisis Management Manual
Key Day to Day Deliverables:
- Proactive oversight of the operational delivery of world class match days throughout the Guinness PRO14 season (152 games), ensuring all KPIs and targets / budgets are fully met
- Deliver all operational aspects of the Guinness PRO14 Final Series, including full event delivery of the Guinness PRO14 Final
- To direct and manage the Commercial Executive and Tournament Operations Executive roles (new)
- Drive strategic thinking re-creation of new Tournament formats / structures and continued PRO14 Tournament innovations
- Full ownership of delivering Club Participation Agreements, Club Handbooks and Tournament Rules – both for operational and commercial delivery perspective – to cover all components above and Match Officials protocols and equipment delivery
- To be the lead contact for all operational aspects of the Tournament with all relevant internal / external bodies e.g. PRO14 Medical Standards Group, EPCR and World Rugby
- Delivery and implementation of PRO14’s off field events – Launch / Season Celebration (on budget, on schedule and to the highest standards)
- Ensure all onsite event activation for the Guinness PRO14’s major commercial partners is delivered effectively and efficiently by the Commercial Executive – both season long and during “Final Series” fixtures
- Ensure (via Commercial Executive and local Compliance Officers) that all contractual match official kit / ball team / pitch kit obligations are appropriately delivered
- To ensure that the PRO14 and/or clubs comply with the Laws of the Game and the directions of World Rugby at PRO14 fixtures
- To provide comprehensive / timely updates to the Operations / Medical Sub-Committee (as as well as Celtic Rugby Board) in all operational aspects of the Tournament and fulfil any directions given
- To participate in meetings of the PRO14 Referee Managers and to provide input concerning operational and commercial development of the PRO14
- Oversight (via Executives) of all regulatory protocols of Tournament – disciplinary, medical, HIA, TMO, anti doping etc.
- Relationship management with key Tournament stakeholders – Union officials, Club CEOs, Team Managers, Judicial Panel etc. on all operational / commercial Tournament matters
- To undertake ad-hoc tasks as directed by the Tournament Director / CEO
Qualifications & Skills
The individual should have broad experience of the key requirements below from relevant prior employment;
- Experience managing budgets of in excess of £1m
- Strong event delivery experience at large / complex international events / projects (including overseeing tenders, contract negotiations and SLA’s)
- Line management experience of diverse / multi territory teams
- Ability to cope with fluctuating workloads and significant periods of pressure at certain times of the year – ability to work autonomously and contribute to high-performing team
- Insightful understanding of the mechanics of sporting organizations and key senior stakeholder management
- Very familiar with the delivery of commercial assets to sponsors
- Operating in high pressure live event environments / strong leadership experience
- Creating detailed operational plans / budgets and forward planning schedules
- The successful candidate will be a motivational leader of both contracted and full-time staff. They will know how to get the best out of the permanent team by coaching them to successful delivery. Whilst this is a very active role, the right candidate will understand the value of knowing the detail but also being able to lead strategic long-term thinking.
- They should be able to grasp concepts quickly and to work at a fast pace to suit the PRO14 organisation. Using their prior experience in delivering comprehensive sporting campaigns, they should bring huge ambition and vision to bring the Guinness PRO14 Tournament and all future related leagues / initiatives to the next level.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, with a proven ability to achieve success when working with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Integrity, resilience and drive to succeed, passionate about sport – a professional and ethical approach to conducting business.
- Ultimately, the successful candidate will be able to brainstorm with the Tournament Director and make the appropriate decisions for the business. This will require an inquisitive mind that wants to learn and grow with the Tournament department and into the role. They will have suitable gravitas and will have acted at a senior level in their current role.
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.