Head of Sales – The Australian Turf Club
The Australian Turf Club (ATC) commenced operations in 2011 pursuant to the Australian Jockey and Sydney Turf Clubs Merger Act 2010. ATC represents over 200 years of delivering exciting and entertaining thoroughbred racing in the Sydney region.
Today the ATC conducts more than 110 race meetings each year across four venues: Royal Randwick, Rosehill Gardens, Warwick Farm and Canterbury Park. A hero event on the annual ATC racing calendar is the world-class The Sydney Carnival comprising of the Longines Golden Slipper Carnival at Rosehill Gardens and The Championships at Royal Randwick. Other year round racing across the venues include the Sydney Spring Carnival, the Chinese Festival of Racing and the Canterbury Park Night Racing series. In staging thoroughbred horse racing, ATC provides high quality entertainment, first-class facilities, spectacular Carnival days, award winning catering and customer service, together with a competitive wagering product for both on and off course customers.
Collectively, ATC entertains over 500,000 visitors each year comprising of ATC members, racehorse owners, sponsors and general public. ATC has a Membership base of over 15,000 members and boasts a stellar line-up of corporate partners, sponsors and hospitality clients.
The Sales & Commercial Department is responsible for generating revenue through the marketing, promotion and sales of race day hospitality products, corporate packages, sponsorships, memberships and “non race day” events
Lead, manage and direct the Sales team to develop and implement effective and innovative strategies to maximise sales revenue and venue utilisation for race day and non-race day business & events.
- Plan, coordinate and execute sales initiatives, campaigns and promotional activities at all four ATC venues to promote the ATC as the preferred events & racing destination.
- Direct the management of resources, formulating and establishing effective, efficient and financially responsible utilisation of resources to achieve business objectives.
- Establish and maintain a resilient business model and sales strategies for the race day and non-race day business to enable quick responses to customers’ needs whilst dynamically managing risks and cost structures.
- Manage Sales annual revenue and expenditure budgets, setting sales targets, reinforcing priorities and risk parameters, monitoring and evaluating performance against quantifiable goals and objectives, identifying problem areas and adapting procedures to resolve issues and achieve established targets.
- Identify, evaluate, negotiate and manage complex and/or strategically important business opportunities, including sales projects, commercial engagements, partnerships and alliances that will contribute to the achievement of short-term and long-term business objectives.
- Establish and maintain industry networks and keep abreast of current developments and trends in the thoroughbred racing, events and entertainment industry to allow for exchange of ideas and information and to secure business opportunities.
- Prepare sales forecasts and documentation including management reports, tenders, contracts and quotations to support and inform strategic planning and ensure compliance with legislative and organisational requirements.
- Manage the development of internal capabilities within the ATC Sales team, which may involve conducting regular in-field sales coaching and facilitating the sharing and transfer of knowledge, mentoring and building the skill sets required to enhance internal capability and to ensure that staff are adequately resourced to perform.
- Manage the performance of direct reports, which may involve establishing, communicating and monitoring measurable performance objectives, conducting appraisal process in line with the Club’s procedures, guiding and motivating staff to enhance the overall performance of the Sales Team.
- Manage, develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including customers, major suppliers, industry bodies and government representatives, strengthening and leveraging relationships to maximise business opportunities.
- Facilitate collaboration between the Commercial Team and other Departments to ensuring the ongoing development and expansion of stakeholder engagement to support the achievement of divisional and/or organisational goals.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience working in commercial venues within the hospitality, events, entertainment, tourism and/or leisure and recreation industry
- Knowledge and experience in stakeholder management at a senior level
- Proven capability in setting direction, articulating and driving strategic and operational plans within a complex environment
- Proven networking capability ideally within the thoroughbred racing industry and major corporate, MICE and not-for-profit sectors
- Understanding of Government policy, direction, regulation and objectives particularly in relation to racing.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence, negotiate and build effective partnerships with a wide range of strategic internal and external stakeholders
- People management skills for leading, motivating and managing a team of sales professionals
- Strong reasoning and problem solving skills with the capacity to develop innovative programs and initiatives to push boundaries and achieve business objectives
- Strong business acumen and effective financial management skills
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in commerce, hospitality/tourism/leisure, marketing and/or communications combined with extensive post-qualification /experience in senior sales roles
- RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) Certificate is essential and RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gambling) Certificate is desirable.
The Head of Sales reports to the Executive General Manager, and is a member of the Management team. It will be responsible for roughly 15 staff.
SRi is the leading firm dedicated to the constant and growing demand for executive and management talent in sports, media and entertainment. Operating from offices in Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Singapore, Switzerland, the UK, and the USA, our expert advisers provide search and consulting services operating as a global team, combining the deep sector knowledge with world-class and cutting-edge talent acquisition and management practice.
To be considered, please your CV in Word format and detailed cover letter to: