Description of Role
The Head of Performance & Behaviours is a new support role for the Australian Cycling Team. We are seeking a Performance Behaviour specialist who can design, implement and evaluate customised psychological, behavioural, and mental skills processes and services which reflect the complexity, diversity and individuality of elite cycling athletes and the performance environment demands.
Athlete, coaches and wider performance team perform to expectations under pressure at key benchmark events
Primary Purpose of Role
In collaboration with the HP leadership team at CA, develop and agree key psychological approaches, processes and responses to support the performance of elite cycling athletes in training and competition. This includes:
- Supporting coaches, technical staff and Performance Support teams, to identify and integrate evidence mental skills, and managing pressure, specific to the needs of their athletes and team
- Support coaches with creative approaches to challenge traditional mental training and pressure response assumptions to raise performance standards of athletes, coaches and performance support team
- Deliver leading practice services and consultations, specific to the needs of elite athletes including initiatives that seek to prevent or intervene early with emerging challenges, hurdles and barriers and with established challenges, hurdles and barriers or support critical transition points
- Develop an extensive expert and informed referral network with local delivery options (national and international) which could include clinical psychology, health psychology, psychiatry, counselling
Engage a multi-disciplinary team in the development of initiatives, support and resources for the CA HP Team that set next practice performance standards.
- Work in collaboration with the HP team, establishing and maintaining effective relationships with key internal and/or external stakeholders such as NIN partners to support the delivery of performance outcomes
Deliver quality advice and reporting on relevant issues to CA HP Leadership Team
Identify key gaps in research related to elite cycling athletes and make recommendations regarding research priorities
Experience and Qualifications
- Possesses an excellent understanding of the standards and demands on athletes and coaches within high performance sport in both a domestic and international context
- Demonstrated record of providing thought leadership in the area of mental and psychological skills and strategies and stress responses in high performance environments
- Demonstrated capacity to provide timely, compelling and concise advice to inform the CA HP leadership team to support decision making
- Experience as a practitioner working in high performance environments (track cycling is desirable)
- Experience contributing to a multi-disciplinary team approach to performance solutions highly desirable
- Experience as a practitioner on national and international teams and at major events such as World Championships, Olympic Games is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a high-performance environment
- Tertiary qualifications and demonstrated post-supervision experience in Psychology and/or Sport Psychology, in counselling or clinical psychology practice including all appropriate registrations
High Performance Skills and Knowledge (Performance Psychology)
- Demonstrates best or leading practice knowledge of mental skills, and psychological strategies that’s been proven to have an impact on performance
- Uses appropriate techniques and communication strategies to gain acceptance of ideas and plans
- Sets high goals and establishes stretch goals for personal, team and program accomplishment
- Conveys an image that is consistent with the organisations values.
- Highly developed communication skills (including interpersonal, negotiation, influencing and representation) and a proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships both internally and externally with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated high level knowledge of the psychological demands of elite sport on athletes and coaches
- Advanced skills in sport psychology practice with elite sport (preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of scientific research and evaluation methods
- Demonstrates political acumen and appropriately anticipates the political consequences of actions
High Performance Behaviours (Australian Cycling Team)
- Passion for excellence and strong desire to excel | seeks world class levels of professionalism, technical delivery and quality standards
- Team working | brings vision and develops direction and structure, ensures clarity of role and purpose; facilitates the completion of team goals
- Sets high standards of performance for self and others | assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing tasks
- Communication | clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals and groups
- Coaching | provides timely guidance and feedback to support others to strengthen specific knowledge and skill areas
- Commitment to Continuous learning | actively identifies new areas for learning
Key Partners include
- The National Institute Network (NIN)
- Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) including Performance Psychology Unit
- World leading education and development organisations including universities and training institutes
- Travel throughout Australia and internationally will be required
- Comply with all policies set down by Cycling Australia and ensure that they are implemented as appropriate
SRi is the leading firm dedicated to the constant and growing demand for executive and management talent in sports, media and entertainment. Our expert advisers provide search and consulting services operating as a global team, combining deep sector knowledge with world-class and cutting-edge talent acquisition and management practice.
With offices in Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Singapore, Switzerland, the UK, and the USA, we are the largest search firm specialising in sports, media and entertainment.
Please contact James Curtis firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Resumes and detailed cover letters must be sent in Word format
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.