Manager, Sport Science – UFC Shanghai PI
POSITION TITLE: Manager, Sport Science
COMPANY: Zuffa, LLC
DEPARTMENT: UFC Performance Institute – Shanghai
REPORTS TO: Dir., Performance – UFC Performance Institute – Shanghai
At the UFC Performance Institute (UFCPI) we deliver performance-impacting physical preparation, sport science, and medical services to the worlds best MMA and combat athletes. Our core values are aligned to maximizing the health & wellbeing of UFC athletes, and to support athletes and coaches optimize their training, preparation, and ultimately performances in the octagon.
The Manager of Sport Science will be required to lead the development and delivery of key projects in collaboration with the Director of Performance and the other UFCPI – Shanghai staff. As required, the Manager of Sport Science will conduct bespoke research projects to directly address key questions/hypotheses relating to athlete health, wellbeing and performance enhancement. Working as a key team member, this position will work side-by-side with respective Managers of Strength & Conditioning, Nutrition, and the medical services to support the delivery of technical solutions focused on athlete development. The position will also work with team members to develop and deliver educational workshops and learning experiences that support the ongoing development of MMA as a sport. This individual will experience a variety of working environments, and will be required to proactively collaborate and seek optimal cross-discipline initiatives within the Performance Institute.
- Direct sport science activities at the UFCPI – Shanghai with the objective of supporting athlete health, wellness, and performance.
- Undertake identified high priority sport science projects and conduct bespoke research activities in order to directly address key performance questions.
- Collaborate with other staff members on sports science applications that inform working practices and provide expert solution to technical priorities and needs.
- Conduct the maintenance, calibration and upkeep of sport science equipment and technologies within the UFCPI – Shanghai.
- Develop third-party relationships and form strategic partnerships with industry leaders in sport science.
- Conduct the management of appropriate databases and undertake data analytics and interrogation of objective metrics.
- Generate reports and data feedback mechanisms that promote the dissemination of data and performance insights.
- Understand the theory, research and scientific applications as they relate to elite level MMA athletes.
Skills & Experience:
- Post Graduate Degree in Exercise Science or other related curriculum required.
- 3+ years of high-level technical management experience in sport science and research.
- Previous experience working effectively in a high performance environment with elite athletes and coaches.
- Personal or professional experience in combat or contact sport is preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge and experience of sport science technologies and innovation.
- The ability to perform sport science research and projects independently, and to apply the findings of that research.
- Experience undertaking large-scale data analytics and the interrogation of objective performance metrics.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both written and oral, that can motivate behavioral change and to have a positive impact on performance.
- Ability to communicate complex data in terms that are easily understood by a wide range of audiences.
- Understanding of existing evidence-based research, and the implementation of new research areas to enhance the sport, athletes, and coaches.
- A dynamic personality who is highly motivated to collaborate with others
- A willingness to entertain new ideas, seize challenges that arise in a positive frame of mind, and an open mindedness to facilitate innovative approaches to sport science.