Senior Communications Manager – World Rugby
World Rugby is the international federation for the sport of Rugby Union headquartered in Dublin. Driven by a strategic mission to grow the global rugby family, World Rugby is both a game regulator and a game inspirer. It is responsible for the regulation and governance of a sport that is experiencing record global participation and fan-base growth.
World Rugby also plays a major role in inspiring new audiences to engage with the sport and owns some of the world’s biggest and best-loved major sports events, including the men’s and women’s Rugby World Cups, Rugby World Cup Sevens and the men’s and women’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.
We are looking for a seasoned communications professional to join World Rugby’s communications team as Senior Communications Manager, reporting to the Head of Communications. The team covers a broad remit to inspire a new generation of fans – incorporating external and internal communications, events, digital and social properties and content. The right candidate for this job will love sport, preferably have an understanding of rugby, and have a great eye for PR opportunities as well as the creativity and strategic ability to design and execute impactful campaigns proactively and reactively.
The role is unique and we are looking for someone with energy and an innovative approach, who is comfortable working in a dynamic environment.
- To effectively lead a team of two Communications Managers and external consultants operating across World Rugby properties.
- To develop and deliver PR campaigns that meet or exceed agreed objectives and KPIs, including the media engagement strategy, acting as a spokesperson for the organisation where deployed.
- To develop and implement promotional and media operations strategies for the World Rugby Awards, Hall of Fame inductions and other World Rugby properties.
- To act as senior media manager at Rugby World Cup 2019 and selected senior World Rugby tournaments, implementing team media rules and media operations programmes.
- To deliver skilful management of reactive PR issues and/or crises that contribute to the perceptions of the World Rugby and Rugby brands, including stakeholder communications programmes.
- To develop and manage stakeholder communications tools to ensure a unified approach across the game.
- To prepare media release and video news release strategies to ensure a joined-up approach across all properties.
Qualifications & Experience
- Business related degree e.g. Marketing, Media, Communications.
- 7+ years’ experience in a senior position in international media.
- Extensive experience of leading affairs and issues management programmes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to network, build relationships and engage with and influence stakeholders at all levels of seniority and across cultural boundaries.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including social media competency
- In-depth understanding of sports media, and preferably with good working knowledge of rugby.
- Proven track record of leading and motivating a team.
- Fluency in French or Spanish desirable.
Skills & Personal Attributes
- Excellent stakeholder management
- Strong communication
- Thorough understanding of sports media environment
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Communication skills
- Project management
- Crisis management
- Influencing skills
- Team leadership
Applications must be submitted via SRi‘s Apply Now button above.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, SRi are only able to respond to successful candidates. To ensure you are kept up to date with all our new roles please sign up to receive our job alerts and Season Ticket newsletters.